Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Christmas Already? <---your comments are requested--->

I brought out some Christmas decorations tonight. Andrew was super-excited and I could tell he felt really special when I showed him his collection of nutcrackers and snowglobes. He was really proud of them and even showed them to his friends. As for me, I don't really like Christmas all that much. Watching myself go into debt to buy gifts for people tends to leave me stressed.
This year, Andrew is asking for an electric guitar. I found a pretty good one for him and it is reasonably priced and includes an amp. When Andrew was three, I was so financially broke that he got recycled gifts: a Spiderman puzzle with a piece missing, a popcorn tin full of Matchbox cars and HotWheels, and 4 little toy horses. He didn't know the difference though! But, my how times have changed. I am so grateful to be able to buy him the #1 item on his list this year.

So, what's #1 on your Christmas list this season? As of yet, I don't have a list. I have not made a Christmas list since I was a kid. I'd like to blame my parents for my lack of enthusiasm towards Christmas. I asked for a drum set for 10 years...but I never got it. :)
I have considered making a list this year, but it just seems so desperate to ask for things. And, when someone asks me, "What do you want for Christmas?" I always reply by saying, "Nothing; I don't need anything." It would be doubly embarrassing for someone to get me something of value!!
Well, I want your responses! What's on your Christmas list this year? Give me some ideas of what you're interested in!

1 comment:

  1. You have to do a Christmas List...it's mandatory! This list has nothing to do with you. It is for those who love you and want to see your face light up….and that great smile Christmas morning! You can’t look at this list like the “free money grab”…..not it at all. Start viewing this as giving back to your friends and family, a small road map to all those things you’d love to have, but could always live without! While I only know small surface details about your life, I’m fairly certain you have provided plenty of love to those around you. The price of a Christmas gift never really equals the worth.
    Everyone has that gift that never came! Yours was the drum set….mine the go cart! Each and every year that go cart made the top of my list. Each year I was convinced that upon waking it would be only a matter of time before the entire neighborhood viewed with astonishment my miraculous driving ability. Year after year, list after list….sadly it never arrived. My childhood finally passed, ultimately robbing me of the chance at driving greatness. Surprised and a little bitter, I always wondered why. Who knows….maybe Santa was smarter than we gave credit? Was there a better plan about which we never knew? Maybe the jolly fat guy wanted me to extend my life beyond the first 14 years? Quite possibly he thought you could do better than sucking in second hand smoke 6 month a year, 2 nights a week gigging in a band on Whisky Row….playing those drums? We may have been saved!
    My list….OMG that’s so easy? What do I want….let me think for 3.5 seconds! In no particular order… I want a bike jersey that actually fits and makes me look good, new bike shoes (white, size 48), kitchen towels that can absorb water, tires for my truck, triathlete magazine subscription, silverware, kids to come home from war complete and in working order, an Akita puppy, piano lessons, the clothes in my closet to come back into style, one of those swim training spas, cool large drinking glasses, those spiffy new front load washer and dryers, the ability to not vocalize every thought swirling around my brain, a heart valve, felt tip pens, inner peace, flat screen for the bedroom, success in love, a 55 ton ironworker, less fear, a vacation near the water, willpower to eat less candy…and one of everything else!
    Make your list…get into the season…allow Andrew and Bob to see that smile!

    ReplyDelete