Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Way Or The Highway??

I have recently acquired a character defect that I'm quite ashamed of. It dawned on me this morning how to put this defect into words: "Whenever something isn't my idea, I immediately put it down." I don't think I have always been this way. In fact, I think that it has just come up over the last couple of months. Here's an example of my most recent escapade:
Bob is remodelling his house. He always asks for my opinion on what the designer presents to him, as we both believe I will be living there with him this time next year. Well, I just go overboard! I was looking at some pictures he sent to me of the flooring. I easily convinced him last month NOT to use a silver plating that the designer selected as the divider between the elevated travertine floor and the sunken wooden floor. But, this silver plating reared its head again in the form of a "focal point" on the floor in the entry way. I think it looks "cold". And, I held nothing back when I blurted out, "I just don't see why someone would want SILVER METAL in their house! UGH!"
Now, you must understand that Bob is the most patient, loving, kind-hearted man I have ever known. And, he didn't react at all to my rude comment. So, I talked in circles and said it a few other ways. What I was hoping was that he would agree with me and do what I wanted. Another thing to keep in mind is that I live in a teeny, tiny 850 square foot apartment with ripped carpet and dirty linoleum flooring. Really, I should be happy that he is even asking for my opinion. But, instead, I say things that are mean. I should have been focused on how grateful I am to have Bob in my life...not how pathetic it is that someone would put silver plating in a design.
So, this is just one example. The truth is, the silver isn't all that bad. And, it certainly isn't worth taking cheap shots at the man I love. I really need to pick my battles...and quite frankly, I need to learn which battles are mine and which ones are none of my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment