Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Day is Done

I finished my baking and got the kitchen clean. I tried a few different recipes today; my favorite is the gluten-free cookies. The first batch I made was with Bob's Red Mill mix. It was terribly dry. So, I used Pamela's Gluten/Wheat-free mix. They are PERFECT! Soft and tasty.
I also made two kinds of drop cookies with Hershey's Kisses on top: one with peanut butter and sour cream. The peanut butter are by far my favorite. The sour cream ones are a bit dry, and...they taste like sour cream. Not what I want in a cookie :) But, all in all, my baking experience was pleasant. I actually impressed myself with how easily I could whip up a batch of dough and then pop them in and out of the oven without missing a beat. haha.


I put everything into tins and have them packed up to take to Bob's house tomorrow morning. I'm really tired and ready to go to bed but I need to be sure Andrew gets to bed so Santa can come.
Today was a pretty good day but I faced several interruptions from my neighbor. First, she wanted me and Andrew to show her almost-10-year-old how to swallow a pill...so he can take his ADHD medicine. The pill was super small. Andrew is taking some probiotics that the doctor gave him and they are more than twice the size of the ADHD pill the neighbor kid is taking. But, that kid would NOT take the pill. He refused. I became so darn annoyed that I finally told him he had to go home. And...his resistance was not in vain. He actually won the battle with his mother and she once again opened the pill and spoon fed him like a baby.
Later on, she came over again to talk about her job situation. She has lived near me for 2 years and in those two years, she has had over 7 jobs...but she has spent most of that 2 years unemployed! She always wants my advice on why she can't get hired. What am I supposed to say: "Because you smell like cigarettes, you say the 'f' word every time you open your mouth, you have a terrible attitude, you run your mouth too much"? Instead, I just say, "Well, maybe you should look for a job in a different field." It's quite stressful. She wanted me to sit with her outside for hours while she smoked and ranted. I hated to be rude but I was in the middle of baking. So, I listened for about 15 minutes then I excused myself. Of course, she followed me inside the house but she soon went home.
It's hard to understand why some people want to live with so much drama. I feel sorry for her, and for her son...and I am not one that gives up hope for people. But this poor woman doesn't have enough knowledge to break out of her way of life. I wish her the best. And I pray that Andrew and I move.
I'm going to let Andrew open one gift tonight before bed, if he wants to. And then I am going to take a bath and relax. We need to wake up by 6 in the morning in order to open gifts, get dressed, and make it to Bob's by 10. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.
It's bittersweet for me, again.

1 comment:

  1. totally know the drama cycle---had a call from my Aunt tonight, and oh man!! how easy it is to get sucked in with the drama. Good on you for handling things well, and look forward to hearing about the move for you and Andrew---
    Blessing and Happy Christmas! xox
    Layla

    ReplyDelete